Coronation Chicken is a classic British dish that originated in the 1950s to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation. It has stood the test of time and remains a favorite for its unique combination of tender chicken, creamy mayonnaise, and exotic spices. In our version of this timeless recipe, we add juicy mangoes and succulent apricots for an extra burst of sweetness and tanginess. The result is a symphony of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds and transport you to a culinary paradise.
For this delightful dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Start by poaching the chicken breasts. Place them in a saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Remove the chicken from the water and let it cool before shredding it into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the diced mango and chopped apricots. These two fruits will add a delightful sweetness and juiciness to the dish, perfectly complementing the savory chicken.
- Prepare the creamy dressing by mixing the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, curry powder, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. The combination of yogurt and mayonnaise creates a luscious base, while the curry powder adds a subtle kick of spice that enhances the overall flavor.
- Add the shredded chicken to the mango and apricot mixture, and then pour the creamy dressing over it. Gently toss all the ingredients together until they are evenly coated with the dressing.
- In a small pan, toast the slivered almonds over medium heat until they turn golden brown and release their nutty aroma. Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the coronation chicken for a delightful crunch and nutty flavor.
- Garnish the dish with fresh cilantro leaves for a burst of color and a hint of herbaceousness that complements the spices beautifully.
How to Prepare
Preparing Coronation Chicken with Mango and Apricot is a breeze, thanks to its straightforward steps:
- Poach and shred the chicken.
- Dice the mango and chop the apricots.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together.
- Combine all the elements and toss gently.
- Toast the slivered almonds.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
The preparation time for this delectable midweek supper is approximately 30-40 minutes, making it an ideal option for those busy days when you crave a satisfying meal without a lengthy cooking process.
This recipe serves 4 people generously, making it perfect for a family meal or a small gathering of friends.
- Can I use pre-cooked chicken for this recipe? Absolutely! If you have leftover cooked chicken, you can shred it and use it in this dish. It will save you time without compromising on taste.
- Is there a substitute for mayonnaise? If you prefer a lighter version, you can use plain Greek yogurt as a replacement for mayonnaise in the dressing.
- Can I add other fruits to the dish? Certainly! While mango and apricot create a fantastic flavor profile, you can experiment with other fruits like pineapple or peaches to add your own twist.
- Can I make this dish ahead of time? Yes, you can prepare the chicken and fruits ahead of time and store them separately in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, mix them together with the dressing and garnish just before serving.
- Is this dish suitable for vegetarians? While this particular recipe includes chicken, you can easily make a vegetarian version by substituting the chicken with cooked chickpeas or tofu.
Coronation Chicken with Mango and Apricot is the ultimate midweek supper that effortlessly combines ease of preparation with a burst of exotic flavors. From the succulent shredded chicken to the juicy sweetness of mango and apricot, every mouthful is a delightful experience. The creamy curry dressing ties everything together and leaves a lingering taste that will leave you wanting more. Impress your loved ones with this delectable dish, and you’re sure to earn accolades for your culinary prowess. So, roll up your sleeves and treat yourself to a dinner that’s both simple and sensational. Enjoy!